Each year the Supporters’ Club makes a merit award, the Sarah Watts Trophy. It’s given to the person(s) who, or organisation which, has contributed most to the cause of Albion supporters in the previous 12 months.
Members are invited to make nominations, and if there’s more than one valid nomination it goes to a vote. To be eligible, a nomination must either have:
- Performed outstanding voluntary work in the past 12 months; or
- Performed truly outstanding work in a professional role in the past 12 months; or
- Made an outstanding contribution over many years.
The Supporters’ Club itself and Brighton & Hove Albion, as organisations, are not eligible.
The award is named after the late Sarah Watts who was secretary of the Supporters’ Club for 20 years from 1995.
The winners have been:
- 2023 – Tim Carder for continuing to improv the SC coach service and for constructing the new SC website.
- 2022 – Tim Carder: for restarting SC coach service.
- 2021 – no award
- 2020 – no award
- 2019 – Liz Costa: long-term outstanding contribution, particularly for organising SC coaches.
- 2018 – Chris Hughton: Albion manager, for keeping team in Premier League.
- 2017 – Chris Hughton: Albion manager, for leading team to Premier League.
- 2016 – John Kirkland: long-term service as SC treasurer and membership secretary.
- 2015 – Liz Costa: organising coaches, SC spokeswoman, FSF rep, and chairing SC meetings.
- 2014 – Albion Collectors’ and Historians’ Society: for establishing the Albion Museum.
- 2013 – Albion in the Community: continuing good work in the local community.
- 2012 – Martin Perry: Albion director, for expansion of Amex Stadium.
- 2011 – Albion Groundstaff: maintained Withdean pitch in good condition for Gus Poyet’s passing football.
- 2010 – Withdean Litter Patrollers: fulfilling Albion’s commitment at Withdean since 1999.
- 2009 – Malcolm Stuart: Albion first-team physio for 20 years.
- 2008 – Falmer For All Campaign Team: worked for securing positive stadium planning decision.
- 2007 – Tim Carder: work for stadium campaign, Seagulls Party, SC, and Collectors’ and Historians’ Society.
- 2006 – Dean Wilkins: led Albion’s youth team to FA Youth Cup sixth round.
- 2005 – John Baine: fund-raising for stadium campaign via Tom Hark CD and solo gig.
- 2004 – Paul Samrah & Tim Carder: stadium campaign organisers.
- 2003 – Liz Costa: SC coach organiser.
- 2002 – Albion Ticket Office: for excellent work.
The full guidelines for this award are available here.