Sarah Watts Trophy guidelines
- Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters’ Club shall make an annual award (subject to 5a below) to the person, persons acting jointly, or organisation which, in its opinion, has contributed most to the cause of the supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club in the previous 12 months.
- To be eligible for the award, a nomination must, in the opinion of the Committee, have:
- Performed outstanding voluntary work in the past 12 months; or
- Performed truly outstanding work in a professional role in the past 12 months; or
- Made an outstanding contribution over many years.
- Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters’ Club and Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club, as organisations, shall not be eligible for this award.
- Nominations for the award, from paid-up members of the Supporters’ Club only, shall be invited by the Committee from May onwards each year via the Newsletter or other comprehensive medium. Nominations must be received by the Secretary in time to send out voting papers, usually by the end of June.
- The Committee shall draw up a shortlist of no more than five nominations that meet the above criteria. If, in the opinion of the Committee:
- no nomination meets the above criteria then no award shall be given;
- only one nomination meets the above criteria then the award shall automatically be given to that nomination.
- Otherwise, the shortlist shall be circulated to members for voting in advance of the Annual General Meeting.
- All paid-up members of the Supporters’ Club shall be entitled to one vote. Votes must be received before the commencement of the Annual General Meeting, and must be submitted to the Secretary together with the voter’s Membership Number (to ensure non-duplication). The Secretary may delegate counting of votes to another member, but all votes shall remain strictly confidential.
- The winner shall be the nomination which receives the most votes. In the event of a tie, those paid-up members present at the Annual General Meeting shall decide by a show of hands. If there is still a tie the Chairman shall make a casting vote.
- The winner shall be announced at the Annual General Meeting.
- The award shall be known as the Sarah Watts Trophy, and shall be presented either at the Annual General Meeting or as soon as practicable thereafter.
Guidelines approved by the Committee 07 May 2019